Collagen is the most abundant natural protein in the body. It holds all living tissues together and ensures the integrity, elasticity and regeneration of skin, cartilage and bones. It represents almost 30% of all human proteins.
Elastin, in the same way as collagen, is also a natural protein found in the body. It is not so abundant, but it also has a fundamental role in providing elasticity to tissues, since it protects against the degeneration of elastic fibers and induces the new biosynthesis of elastin fibers, giving the capacity to the tissues to stretch and return to its normal state.
Production of collagen and elastin
The loss of elasticity is a natural process that is due to the decrease in the production of collagen and elastin in our body. As we age, the skin loses its ability to regenerate, therefore, from the age of 25, the famous signs of aging begin to appear, such as wrinkles or expression lines, among others.
Even so, it should be noted that they not only decrease due to the passage of time, but also to external factors such as sun radiation, pollution, smoking, having bad eating habits, not resting … etc.
All the benefits of collagen and elastin
There are many benefits that we obtain when our body ingests collagen and elastin in the form of a food supplement.
The properties of both contribute to improving the health of the skin and joints. In this case, we will focus on the benefits they bring to the skin.
To begin with, it should be noted that both favor and improve the elasticity, flexibility and regeneration of the skin, providing luminosity, softness and firmness, and minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. They are also beneficial in strengthening hair and nail health.
The benefits of collagen on the skin
– Helps to improve the elasticity of the skin.
– Provides resistance to the skin.
– Prevents the formation of deep wrinkles by delaying skin aging.
– Increases the smoothness of the skin by reducing the number of microrelief grooves.
– Contributes to the hydration of the skin.
– Prevents and protects from external factors that damage the skin.
The benefits of elastin on the skin
- It allows the skin to stretch and return to its natural shape by adding elasticity to the skin and cartilage.
- Prevents the formation of wrinkles, furrows, fine lines and stretch marks.
- Keeps the skin hydrated.
- Supports collagen fibers that firm skin.
- Prevents sagging of the fabric.
- Maintains the structure of the skin in its natural state.
How to recover collagen and elastin?
One way to delay skin aging and recover the production of collagen and elastin is to take care of the skin both inside and out with a good facial routine and lead a healthy life as we have mentioned before, with a good diet based on vitamin C, antioxidants, vitamin E, foods rich in zinc, and good habits.